Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Curious Compassion

Its funny, I always thought I knew compassion, but I can look back now and know I didn't. I was so busy trying to make way my through my own jungle, I couldn't see the pain around me(yes I resisted the "forrest for the trees cliche). Then an amazing thing happened, I woke up one day and realized I was happy...ridiculously, unequivocally, irreversibly (I hope)  happy.

Suddenly I had nothing  worry about, nothing to fret over, nothing to be absolutely consumed with except the fact that I was happy.  (Not that being happy isn't hard and sometimes scary when your aren't used to it.) But I digress (get used to it)

It was like a blindfold was dropped from my eyes. Now I can see...

Granted, I am in an environment that is much less privileged now, and there is so much need all around me, but I feel like I have much more appreciation for the struggles of others. I literally lay in bed at night scrolling through the people I come in contact with on a daily basis, and try to think what I can do to impact their lives in a positive way.

So I want to spend the next few posts and try to paint a picture of what I see. Some of it will be sweet, some incredibly sad, (a few gross things I can think of) but mostly, how blessed I am to have the people in my life that I do. 

No comments: